Saturday, June 15, 2024

Old Man Outfit

 

We were at Arby’s taking advantage of their ‘5 for $5 Original Roast Beef Sandwich’ special.  This was only available via their App which required the purchase be made with a credit card.  Normally I like to pay cash for simple take-out meals; but considering their walk in special for the same Original Roast Beef Sandwich was 2 for $6, then I’m glad I didn’t need to take a remedial math course to make my decision.

Lucy had the Arby’s App on her phone and was busy making the transaction happen while I stood at the front counter watching them prepare the order.  The young man was doing his best to be polite as he expressed his observation of my clothing.

“Nice outfit, Man; looks like something an old man would wear.”  We were on our way home from serving at the Houston Temple.  I’d taken off my sport jacket and tie which meant I had on a pair of slacks held up by a pair of matching dark suspenders and a long white sleeve shirt.  I think he meant to infer that my appearance reminded him of something from an antique poster; but that’s just a guess.

“Well, that’s good because I’m an old man.”  I smiled back as I let out a slight laugh.  I’m sure his manager was holding her breath hoping I didn’t get upset with such a remark. 

Art Linkletter had an entertaining program way back in the infancy of television, “Kids Say the Darndest Things” was the name of the show.  I think this young man’s remark would have qualified.

No comments: