Friday, January 05, 2007

Hey take a look at this

I’ve explained to my kids not to open attachments that come to them via email or to visit internet sites which cater to carnal interests because of the increased possibility of exposing my computer to hostile virus packages. This past week I sat down and noticed that my desktop icons looked different, something that happens quite often when my grandson JJ moves them around; except this time I didn’t recognize several of the icons. Immediately I suspected something was wrong and ran my antivirus program to verify my suspicions.

A friend of my son wanted him to look at some interesting video clips, or at least that’s what I was told. I shook my head and bit my lip, at least for a few moments prior to explaining that this is my business computer, that I expect those who are permitted to use it for pleasure to follow my rules without any variance to those rules. That’s hard for my son to accept, maybe it’s a generational thing that I’m unable to understand; things like being responsible for your actions, following rules and all that. I hope he enjoys going to the public library to use the computer from now on.

Fortunately all my data is backed up regularly; my business data is backed up anytime an entry is made and my personal folders are backed up at least monthly depending on how much has been added. My iTunes and all my movies are on a removable hard drive so I won’t lose anything other than the time it takes to reload all my programs, that and the down time for repairs.

I now will have the pleasure of taking my computer in for service, under warranty hopefully since it is so new, to have the hard drive reformatted or what ever it is they have to do. I will have them reinstall Office and everything that gave me headaches when I first loaded those programs; some kind of issue between Outlook and Norton made for a wonderful time ( linked via title bar ). I have to wonder why I have Norton and pay for a program that let the virus get past anyway. The screen saver thing has never worked the way it should, some kind of driver that can’t be found turns off my internet connection when I should see fish swimming after a few minutes and I have to reboot to establish a connection.

I feel like the space shuttle astronauts having to go around the far side of the moon and being out of contact with mission control for however many minutes they are in radio silence mode. Keep those fingers crossed for my computer and I’ll be back with more rants as soon as I am able.

No comments: