Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We Got Rain






The grandchildren where over for dinner last night and after the Astros game ( Astros beat Cincinnati 4 – 1), after the game we watched the movie, Evan Almighty , about a fellow picked by God to build an Ark in our day. I mention that because here in Houston we got lots of rain ; some places got 6 – 7 inches yesterday afternoon while up around our area we “only” got 3 inches.

It rained most of the night with lots of thunder and lightning. I turned on the local news when I got up and instead of the Today Show there was a special broadcast of the flooding which was going on here. The Katy area west of us got an additional 6 – 7 inches of rain and our area got about 4 inches on top of the rain from yesterday.

Anyone with a lick of sense would have stayed home and chalked it off as smart; but we are not blessed with a huge percentage of smart folks apparently as the freeways and service roads were nothing but huge parking lots filled with frustrated commuters. I’m guessing there won’t be much, if any, locksmith work today.

I went over to the new bridge which crosses Cypress Creek, the one which opened just a while back. I’d taken some pictures of the creek that day ( third picture in the set) and wanted to gauge how much it had risen with all this rain. I talked to a lady who had been there earlier this morning and she told me the level had gone down about a foot; I’m impressed.

No comments: