Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father’s Day 2009


I spent some of the afternoon after church standing with the garden hose in the front yard trying to keep the bushes and grass alive; over a month now with no rain to speak of. There was a small rain shower just north of us this evening; but it didn’t even show up on the radar.

Lucy got me a nice Cross pen and pencil set along with Mark Levin’s book, Liberty and Tyranny; the same book I got for my Dad. We had dinner with Jennifer, Justin and the grandkids at a local Mexican food place up on 1960 where we gave Justin his Cross pen and pencil set; his was cobalt blue whereas mine is platinum colored.

I also was given two DVD’s; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Gran Torino; those will be for later in the week when I have some time to enjoy them. Bonnie called to wish me a Happy Father’s Day and William and Abby brought by a neat package of sliced fruit with a baseball ceramic piece that I can put loose change in later on. The chocolate covered strawberries never made it past the first inning, the rest will become breakfast as I plucked them off and put them into a zip lock bag and placed them in the refrigerator.

William mentioned how he would like to have the WWII rifle from my closet to mount on the wall of his apartment, a memento my father brought back from his service in the Navy. Dad was to be part of the invasion force sent to Japan had they not surrendered after having the living daylights kicked out of them in Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the power of the atomic bomb.

I hear folks apologize for the use of the atomic bomb, saying we should have avoided the use of such horrible weapons. My own thoughts gravitate in a different direction; had they not brought the proud people of Japan to their knees, my father might not have made it home along with thousands of other American troops. It was war and you do what you have to do to win, something our current crop of leaders might not understand or have the intestinal fortitude to follow through with; but I’d not intended for this to turn political so I’ll leave it at that.

Father’s Day is for everyone; sons, daughters, wives and husbands too. I’m one of the lucky ones; I get to fly out and visit mine next month and tell him I love him. Hope your father is still around so you can wish him well too; if not, remember him for the good he may have done rather than the failings he might have shown.

No comments: