Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time on my hands




Lucy is down at the beach in Galveston with her brother and two sisters for the week, their chance to be together each year. This has become something of a tradition and so I have time on my hands to stay up late watching movies or listening to music.

I glanced over my DVD collection and landed on The Outer Limits – Time Travel & Infinity Collection. If you enjoy well written Sci-fi it’s hard to beat, especially this group of time travel stories.

There were two which I enjoyed more than the others, A Stitch in Time and Tribunal. Amanda Plummer plays the roll of a time travelling executioner. She waits until the state would have executed a murderer; but instead of letting the victim get murdered, she goes back to the day prior to the murder, identifies the dirt bag and explains how he’d been convicted and at that moment she blasts holes in summary execution.

Things get a bit twisted each time she jumps back and forth as she recalls both “histories"; the one where the actual murder took place and the other history, the one where the murderer is executed prior to destroying an innocent life. The trail of evidence is toyed with rather well as pieces and facts don’t fit or make sense; a gun fabricated in the mid 70’s being linked to a murder which happened in the 50’s, finger prints of a suspect who would have been in kindergarten at the time the murder took place.

Tribunal takes a shot at bringing a NAZI war criminal to justice half a century later where he is living under an assumed name. The time traveling involved brings ancestors, both past and future together as time lines get reworked in order to bring about closure.

Having all this time on my hands I got to watch the entire collection; probably my fourth or fifth time to enjoy this collection. I remember something Douglas Callister said regarding great books, that the best books should be read and re-read year after year rather than simply saying, “Oh, yea, I read that one”, and then letting it gather dust on the book shelf. I suppose the same could be applied to certain DVD’s and music.

I’m getting a little sleepy now, the pain pill and muscle relaxer I took a while ago is kicking in. I better post this and get to bed.

No comments: