Thursday, February 01, 2007

Evolution or Eternal Progression

A fellow who goes by the moniker, “Probiligo”, stops by once and a while and leaves a comment. He lives in New Zealand and has his own blog where I also visit now and again. This past week he wrote an article which he called, “On Consciousness 2” (linked via title bar). It was an interesting voyage into the workings of the human brain worth the read. He provided an insight as to how quite a few folks believe or think about the state of man.

"The brain is a product of evolution, and just as animal brains have their limitations, we have ours."

Probligo highlighted this sentence and stated that he agreed with it so I will start from there. I so dislike the word evolution that I automatically start to jerk my knee whenever it passes my senses. That having been said, I agree that we have our limitations, as do all creatures.

My understanding of man’s existence is tempered considerably by religious doctrine, some of which may be unique to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I believe that man is made in God’s image and that as such we are given to achieve in like manner; blasphemy in some circles of Christianity. I do not buy into the idea that prehistoric similar creatures that walked upright are the same as man; no more so than I believe that monkeys or apes are men. They were separate and distinct creatures, man being the result of God’s intention to reserve such status for His children. This statement being at variance with the secularists might irritate; heck, I know it irritates the so called scientific community. They have as much right to their opinion as do I. The nature of man has to be considered from the beginning, and by that I do not refer to the first breath taken in mortality.

Each man/woman has existed from the beginning as spirit entities with intelligence and an awareness of being. The scriptures explain that there was a great council which separated those spirits willing to follow a plan proposed by that being we identify as God, the Father of all, while a third of the host of heaven rebelled and followed Satan. These rebellious spirits were thrown out and forever consigned to the existence to which they had “progressed”; being denied the opportunity to obtain a mortal body or to progress any further.

Those who accepted God’s proposed plan accepted Jesus as the Savior and agreed to follow all the rules and commandments as set down in that heavenly council. Upon reaching mortality a veil of forgetfulness separates man from having a clear memory of his first estate providing a platform in which to test his/her resolve to complete those promises which were made, a probationary state if you will. We are to be tested all through our mortality to see how we perform under stress and various challenges in order to separate further those who will follow God’s plan from those who claimed they would but lacked the necessary character.

I would proceed further with my explanation of the Great Plan of Salvation; however, for what I wish to explain today this much will suffice. Man, upon passing mortality and obtaining a perfected body, one that is reunited with his eternal spirit, is to forever progress along that same opportunity of experience as did God.

I might be splitting hairs when I say that I dislike the word evolution; perhaps it is because evolution and the far ranging associated meanings have been perverted into a false science by those intent on denying God’s grand creations, preferring instead to assign such magnificence to calculated random chance. We wandered out of a pool of slime and one day sat in our easy chair sending digital images from our cell phones; might as well call that a “religion of tall tales” when compared to my belief in a Father preparing a means whereby all of His children might fulfill the measure of their existence to the highest level possible.

God, the image of our existence, has attained powers, understanding and knowledge that we are capable of, we just have to wait until such time as we are ready for such knowledge, understanding and power. We don’t hand over the car keys to a five year old, why should we expect the power, intelligence and understanding of God in our infancy. I have no idea how other men understand the eternities, we being more comfortable with finite logic. I can only proceed on my limited understanding that if I have a quantity of intelligence, understanding and ability today, that tomorrow I have the ability to add to that, even if it is but a little, it will be more than I had the day before. Progressively, I will have “X”, then “X+1”, then +1 more and so on through all eternity. I can no more catch up with God in His ability than I can ever be as old as the brother born before me; but I can increase without limitations as long as I desire to increase.

Last on my list would be the idea Probligo brought up on color and the recognition that there is no way for one person to understand how another perceives or accepts the hue, shape and reflection as you perceive it. It is speculation on my part that part of the eternities will be spent in conversation with all those other eternal beings with whom you desire to continue quality moments with, going over how you might have felt when you saw that spectacular meteor shower in November of 1966 or the fantastic rainbow that graced the sky the day you asked your intended to marry you. Imagine sitting down, with no time limits attached, while the feelings and descriptions of such tender moments are shared. I can only guess that my Father in Heaven would be interested in how my spirit appreciated His handy work, that we might spend time, much as any father would take with one of his children, to check on each one’s progression and growth.

No comments: