Friday, October 17, 2008

October Rush


This past week I got to watch the movie, August Rush, something I’d been told was worth the effort; they were right. Having DVR made it possible to record it so it’s there for as long as wanted or until we get around to buying it on DVD.

There was one scene in particular which got to me, not that the whole movie wasn’t well done; but the place in the movie where the young boy first sat behind the great organ and let loose with his talents caused shivers to run down my spine. I remember hearing Zig Ziglar speak; it might have been a different motivational speaker, but I think it was Zig, as he told of a young Johann Sebastian Bach walking into a cathedral and sitting in the master organist’s chair.

The sheer impudence of the young man to sit there and play at that honored position; but when the master organist heard the music which sprang from the keyboards he fell silent, having recognized the genius which was present. What if he’d stepped in without first hearing Bach’s music; that’s the magic which August Rush brought to me in that moment while watching the other night.

Lucy had a Ham radio meeting tonight so I broke out a favorite of mine, Ton Koopman playing, “J. S. Bach: Orgelwerke”. When I say I broke out, that should read, cranked up in full surround sound. The first cut is the Toccata und Fuge d-moll, familiar to most folks with a classical background; but the next two cuts show off the heart and soul of the human race as the organ soars with each passing moment; the word “glorious” was put in the dictionary after this music was played for the first time.

Lucy’s on the other side of town wondering why the windows of her building are shaking; my fault, the music made me do it. Maybe there’s a reason I need to wear hearing aids; perhaps it had something to do with cranking up the volume all these years. No time to cry about spilt milk, Bach should be played very loud; can’t be enjoyed unless the flooring nails pop up or the wall panels don’t bend.

No comments: