Monday, July 06, 2009

Courage to Karaoke

This past Saturday we enjoyed a wonderful diner and social gathering at the Mixa’s home followed by a visit to our children’s where they were to set off fireworks. Justin, our son in law had a huge box of minor explosives; but he took a time out and challenged me to a game of 8 Ball on their new pool table.

Some folks never learn; game, set and match. It was almost as much fun as the first time I whooped him at pool years ago, only this time fighting variable focus glasses and some creaky joints that didn’t want to move. I haven’t lost the touch and went undefeated; Son in law Justin, daughter Bonnie, daughter Jennifer, some cousins of Justin until my nephew Nathan finally edged out a win on his third try.

Bonnie made up a rule that the winner had to sing Karaoke. Richie, one of Justin’s cousins had a fancy Karaoke set up, complete with spot lights for a mock stage. I was at a mild disadvantage for a couple of reasons; most of the music listed was unfamiliar to me, the ones I recognized required a wide range and lastly, courage to make a fool of myself in front of the whole family. My granddaughter Jocelyne gave me a big hug and smile as I grabbed the microphone.

My first attempt at Karaoke, Michael Buble’s version of Feeling Good surprised me as I belted out many parts of the tune with pure confidence in spite of being unable to come close to carrying a tune. David Foster will have to keep looking for his next big star. I finally figured out how the machine’s promptings might help to keep up; yea, that’s why the first attempt sounded a little out of sync.

My grand finale was Josh Groban’s version of O Holy Night. I learned something from my years working in the Primary organization at church, let go and have fun. I have no idea how badly I pulled it off; none of the next door neighbors called the police, either for the music being too loud or for it being off key. When it came time to let loose, I let loose with reckless abandon. I had fun; of that there was no denying.

It was liberating and I look forward to some future Karaoke; except I’ll find something more in line with my talents, story telling. Perhaps a go at Harry Chapin’s, Mr. Tanner or his cult classic, Thirty Thousand Pounds of Bananas. I might even attempt some old Willie Nelson stuff; a raspy country sound might just work. Rest in peace Harry and thanks for some great tunes that anyone can have fun with.



No comments: