Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Dragonfly with Class


I get a kick out of watching Dragonflies, an ancient flying insect with uncanny abilities that have baffled scientists for years. I read some information on Kathy Biggs website where, “you couldn't find a handy guidebook for identifying dragonflies until quite recently. The Audubon Society’s Insects and Spiders field guide could be helpful, but this and other older insect guides cover only a few of the desert species of dragonflies.”

“Like hummingbirds, and unlike the butterflies, dragonflies can maneuver quickly, making rapid zigzag maneuvers. Occasionally though, you’ll find one basking in the sun or claiming and defending a territory on a pond or creek where it can be observed at leisure. Otherwise, enjoy the aerial antics of one of Earth's very first fliers: indeed, they predate the dinosaurs and are among our most ancient creatures.”

I think the Dragonfly I spot from time to time, I’m assuming it’s the same one, resting motionlessly on the antenna’s tip has been dreaming of the wind rush he might feel as my little green BMW Z-3 Coupe zips down the road; he’s never landed on the antenna of my work truck. I snapped this through my kitchen window and then tried to slip out the back door, around the trunk and zoom in even closer. The moment I rounded the bumper of my truck it took off, having noticed my movement its four wings sprang into defensive mode. With reactions like that it’s no wonder these wonderfully equipped flying machines have survived and flourished.

There’s a Dragonfly Museum on line where much more information can be found, photographs of these prehistoric jewels and other information for those interested. Take a moment or two, maybe three to appreciate something older than the dinosaurs.

No comments: