Monday, November 10, 2008

Garbage as Art



The 22nd item on Cleon Skousen’s list in his book, The Naked Communist , “Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. … “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms” came to mind today. While listening to the Paul Harvey radio show this morning there was a spot announcing the possibility that two pieces of “art” by Mark Rothko may have accidentally been hung upside down at a gallery showing modern “art”.

I had to laugh as I was driving at the time, at the implications. If the experts on “art” couldn’t figure out which side was up, what it was or how to hang it, then what kind of garbage was it? I mean ( insert your best Arlo Guthrie voice at this point ), “I mean…” what the heck kind of “art” permits such a travesty to be pulled off?

I took the time to look up this piece of “art” when I had the chance. Garbage with a frame would be more like it. I’ve seen paint samples that had more expression. Quoting an
article by Alastair Jamieson :

“… Rothko is thought to have wanted the works - which he donated to the Tate before committing suicide in February 1970 - to be hung with the stripes running horizontally and the location of his signature on the back of the paintings is believed to reflect this wish.”

If, after waking up from a night of serious drinking or drugs, I found one of my expensive canvases covered in such a way I might have considered suicide as well; however, rather than give the paintings away, I’d have had the decency to cover them with something which could have at least been classified as artistic impression. Like I said earlier, I’ve seen paint samples that had more expression.

No comments: