Sunday, November 15, 2009

Angels Snoring ?

I had a rare treat this morning to help out in the Primary when one of the regular teachers couldn’t make it. Actually I was a backup for the other teacher, one of those rules where there needs to be two adults in a class so I didn’t have to come up with a last minute lesson.

Primary is broken down into three parts, Sharing time where all the children are in one room for opening exercises, the lesson time where they break off into small groups by age and then back to Sharing time; except this time the group is halved, I was with the older kids this time as they were supposed to learn something they will do for the Christmas program.

I wasn’t familiar with the song, Stars Were Gleaming , as the music instructor, Sister Antezana, had gestures that were supposed to remind the children of the various words as she presented the song. She held both hands above her head and let her fingers point down, as if dancing.

Stars were gleaming…

She rested her head on her flattened hands…

Shepherds dreaming…

Here arms pulled together like she was hugging…

And the night was dark and chill.

Here’s were my ears let me down. I may have mentioned in previous writings, I’m hard of hearing; even with hearing aids certain sounds are beyond my ability to hear. My brain attempts to fill in the blanks with words that might fit, could fit on an outside bet or that make for a fun sentence with no chance in a million of being correct.

She held her hands in front of her as if opening a book; but my ears heard…

Angels snoring.

Come on now, shepherds were dreaming, angels could have been snoring; what do you want, Pavarotti? They sang the song several times and I chimed in, doing my best to learn the new song. Brother Mangrum, the fellow I was supposed to be helping, was next to me. He couldn’t keep from laughing as he heard me singing, Angels snoring where it should have been Angel’s story.

Hearken, he is laughing still.

No comments: