Tuesday, September 27, 2022

The Algorithm Two Step

 

USS Nimitz

I must admit, I spend too much time on social media outlets like Facebook, time that could be more productive elsewhere, such as creative writing; hmmmm.  I suppose looking at entries of friend’s cats and dogs beats watching the latest news and is good for my spirit.

Interesting paths are created by social media which rely on algorithms, as if the computer memory banks recognize my desires, found a need or simply want to sell a product made by one of their advertising sponsors. Simply hit the Like Button on an item, any item, and the journey begins.

I happened to view a photograph of an aircraft carrier some time back…and for the next several weeks my daily visits on Facebook brought many more images of…you guessed it…aircraft carriers.  There were aircraft carriers from other countries, aircraft carriers with aircraft taking off, landing, short videos of aircraft on approach to land or take off, aircraft carriers doing high speed maneuvers and so on.  This is starting to sound like a rehash of Forrest Gump learning the many uses for shrimp.

About a week ago a friend posted an image of a rustic log cabin nestled in an autumn country setting with trees ablaze in splendid fashion, and I clicked the Like Button.  Now I’m being flooded with images of rustic log cabins, tiny homes, hunter’s shacks along with full size mansion sized country styled houses.  This doesn’t touch on how many photographs on the beautiful fall landscapes on display with winding country roads lined with split railed log fences.


I needed directions to a transmission repair shop for my 2003 Dodge truck.
  I’d already talked to them over the phone and arranged for their services; but Google shared my information so now when I start up the internet it has several suggested transmission repair locations, advertisements from those who support Google and would dearly love my business.


A spin-off on having notified Facebook that I own an old Dodge truck, even though it’s not an antique, at least not yet; I get to see images of really old pick-up trucks that have been restored to pristine condition.
  I’m not complaining, just making an observation.  Maybe Google thinks my truck needs a paint job to go along with the transmission repair job.

Admiring a beautiful woman can be illuminating as well.  According to social media, I have a crush on several actresses: Wonder Woman’s Lynda Carter, Bewitched’s Elizabeth Montgomery, Friends’ Jennifer Aniston and several others.  At least they got this part right; but who could blame me on these choices?  I’m sure there are dozens of attractive female images to click the Like Button on. Will I have to sacrifice my love of aircraft carriers to make room for movie stars showing too much skin? 



About a year ago I saw a finely crafted violin displayed, you bet…the algorithm has me down to eventually purchase a violin, learn to play and, as a bonus, sends me classical music videos featuring violin solos. 

…And you thought I was only interested in being adopted by lonely puppies and kittens, said the man with two dogs, two matured cats and the newest member to the family, an 8-week-old kitten we named, Thumper, because she pounds the wooden floor while charging with reckless abandon to stir up trouble.  We might have gotten her name wrong; Terrorist Kitty might be more suited for her.

Walking down the hallway at night requires an acquired skillset similar to young parents trying not to step on Lego blocks in the dark.  As a senior citizen, that’s evolved to avoiding freshly regurgitated food, scattered grains of cat sand or any number of toys that at one time had squeakers embedded within their bodies.  I guess this new dance could be called the Algorithm Two Step.

 

No comments: