Saturday, July 25, 2026

Dreaming of a Ruben’s Sandwich

 

Friday morning while enjoying the last remaining moments of sleep, I’d been attending a corporate get together, interesting since I’d never been employed or associated with that kind of structured environment. I didn’t recognize anyone while roaming about the expansive facility which didn’t surprise me since I wasn’t employed there.

While in the process of taking this in, figuring it was time to leave since I really had no reason to stay, that’s when I found myself being offered a sandwich; not any old sandwich; but a Ruben’s Sandwich that had plenty of Corned Beef forming a wedge in between.  I looked again and there was a row of perhaps six or seven Ruben’s lined up and ready for whomever wanted one.

As I reached for the offered Ruben’s, considering the subtle flavors contained in that masterpiece of a sandwich; that’s when the alarm on my cellphone went off at 5:30am.  It was time to get up and join reality, stumble to the kitchen, pop a couple of English Muffins into the toaster followed by a mild slathering of peanut butter and jelly; in other words, breakfast.

The alarm had cheated me out of taking even one bite from the Ruben’s, not even one bite. I mentioned this to Lucy as we drove down to Houston, detailing the interesting tour of a company I didn’t work for and being offered the sandwich, right up until the alarm woke me up.  We both laughed at how our brain entertained us while we slept.

After completing our shift, working as Ordinance Workers at the Houston Temple, we headed back home.  The trip offers options as to what we might have for a meal; Arby’s for sandwiches prior to getting on the freeway or waiting until we drove up to Huntsville where we could go to Canes or Whataburger prior to getting our grocery shopping done.

Arby’s came up as our choice, yup, imagine that!  Arby’s makes a fairly decent Ruben’s Sandwich, not great; but certainly, a good sandwich, and we had a buy-one sandwich/get-one free digital coupon on Lucy’s cellphone.  The image of a Ruben’s Sandwich was on the internet, not much different than the ones served at Arby’s except Arby’s sandwich doesn’t come with a slice of pickle.  In this way I was able to finish my dream, the one where the alarm clock cheated me out of a perfectly prepared Ruben’s Sandwich.

No comments: