Sunday, June 11, 2006

Which one’s Jesus?


My four year old grandson went to church with us this morning, reverently quiet while sitting on my knee and observing the proceedings. He folded his arms and bowed his head during the prayer, attentive to what was being said; including his, Amen, as the congregation added their own. We broke for our secondary meetings, Sunday School and Primary for the children; it was then that I discovered his keen interest had a purpose.

“Which one’s Jesus?”, he asked, having given a cursory glance at most everyone who might be considered possible candidates; our Bishop, his counselors and those sitting at the front of the building. We are, after all, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; so , “Which one’s Jesus” would be a reasonable question.

I love the simple logic children express as they strive to understand the complex, their simple expectations of how this world works. I marvel at the lessons I learn the older I get, the opportunity to understand the scriptures.

“At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.” Matthew 18:1-5

May we live our lives in such a way as to have some four year old consider the possibility, remote as it might be, that he might be in the presence of the Lord is my humble prayer. In the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: