Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Retired Teacher Bonus?


I read where the Texas State Comptroller’s office turned down the legislature’s request to pay retired teachers a five hundred dollar bonus .

“Attorney General Greg Abbott on Monday issued an opinion that says normal procedures for distributing the $155 million were not followed by the 2009 Legislature.”

Please don’t read anything into this that isn’t there; I have the highest regard for teachers. In an economy that is less than robust; what kind of idiot legislature contemplates handing out bonus money? Did that money grow on a money tree or is this more wealth redistribution?

My locksmith business is directly tied in with the automotive industry; and our figures have been pretty ugly for this past year. You won’t hear about belt tightening because I’m not in the unemployment line; but our business is off around 40%. I’m not complaining and I’m able to keep my head above water, pay those I owe and even have a little left over.

The economy is “on the rebound”, at least that’s what I’m hearing from mass media sources. According to them the recession is over and we should all enjoy a very good “holiday season”; heaven forbid they mention Christmas. I should be thrilled for retired teachers who are able to enjoy part of my hard earned money.

Shucky Dern, I know where the money came from, or at least part of it. Each year the State of Texas STEALS about five hundred dollars from my account so I can renew my locksmith license . I want to thank the legislature for explaining, at least in part, why being in being in business is so rewarding.


No comments: