Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Personality Check


I read a short blog by Catscape where some yo-yo wanted to analyze President Bush based on the songs that may or may not be on his ipod. It got me wondering what kind of institute the quacks would place me in after reviewing my library of songs. Heck, why limit it to the ipod; there’s my library of movies and I even have some of those things called books. What kind of personality would emerge on the Freudian scale of fruit cake to nuts?

I’ve been glancing back and forth between this document and the ipod list of albums and artists. I have Patsy Cline next to The Mamas and Papas, Enya’s A day without rain next to the London Philharmonic’s Mozart Festival, Santana’s Abraxas next to Canadian Brass playing Ain’t Misbehaving. The list goes on; Eric Clapton next to Eric Kyle and the Beads. So who the heck are Eric Kyle and the Beads; a friend of mine from way back has a band on the side and they make music. They may not be on the top ten list but they are no different than writers who’re trying to get published. I have Mendelssohn in between Harry Chapin, Blood Sweat and Tears followed by Bob Dylan, the Byrds, ELO and Maureen McGovern with all their greatest hits. How about a little Mr. Tambourine Man mixed with Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto? That ought to shake things up.

I saw a neat over priced special offer on Bainbridge’s site where he had linked to the
Definitive Heinlein. I suppose out of courtesy I should have referred to him as Professor Bainbridge; what the heck, he spent a lot of time and effort to obtain that PhD. My uncle has a PhD in English and I still call him Uncle Larry, so on second thought, leave it alone. Uncle Larry added an “e” to the end of his last name; maybe he was trying to avoid any association with the rest of us nut cases; but he prefers being called “Doctor Sterne” or Lawrence too. People are always asking if Howard is related and I have to wonder about that. I told Lucy that if I had lots of extra money I’d think about purchasing the complete collector’s set of Heinlein; but that $2500 was a little steep for duplicating things I already have in paperback, even if it comes in a hardback with fancy artwork. Maybe we should leave that Pandora’s Box alone, let Laura Croft do her fancy spandex thing and just enjoy the music. I turned on the Swan Lake so that I could write with style; is it helping? Oh, well, it was worth a try. I think Scott Joplin and Rachmaninoff would work well together; kind of a disjointed rhythm that goes nuclear at times, that about suits me. By the way, I changed from Swan Lake to the “Rach 3” with David Helfgott at the piano. That’s a neat idea, I’ll have to ask someone who knows music composition if Rachmaninoff could be mixed directly with Joplin; that would be interesting to hear.

Have I frightened anyone yet; didn’t think so, you bunch of psycho’s. I’ve read the profiles on most of the folks who check on my blog from time to time; you may end up being my cell mates, correct that to read, “fellow roommates” there at Happy Valley.

No comments: