Saturday, May 21, 2005

Brad's Challenge


List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over.


I suppose my peer group would have to include my blogging companions, those I visit regularly. It would also include those I attend church with and my immediate friends.

1. FARMS; I can bet the house (Brad, forgive the implied issue of gambling) that no one else would have this on their list. FARMS, “the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies” is often brought up when discussing fringe issues in regard to quorum topics after church. It’s like being a member of an exclusive club reserved for the “most serious” scripture scholars. I had a membership for several years and could not figure out what was so neat about it; but then I was never much of a scholar either. Did I just bet the farm too?


2. Poker has been a recent topic or better stated, Gambling has been the topic with poker being debated as to whether or not it should be classified as gambling. Speaking for myself, it really is a non-issue.

3. Reality Shows on television comes up every now and again. I have no desire to watch any of them as they tend to demean the human spirit in a commercial bid to show the depths some will go just to see if they can. Rather than instilling an appreciation for mankind’s ability to adapt or conquer; instead they are a degradation of our values for having made a mockery of the driving forces that make each of us valuable.

4. Basketball, big deal. I have never understood the fascination with that game. They could save everyone a bunch of time, change the rules so that the whole game lasts 5 minutes because everything up until then is tedium on the edge of boredom anyway. The real strategy of the game only happens in those last few minutes so make that the game.

5. Steroid Use in Sports would be worthy of listing. I may be alone on this one; but if the use of steroids is legal, prescription or over the counter makes no difference, for anyone to use in everyday life then why should an athlete be deprived of the same legal ingestion of a substance. My personal rule should be applied, “Just because it’s legal does not mean I would do it myself or recommend it’s use by anyone else”. My point is purely a matter of legal ethics as opposed to moral grounds or any argument that involves the implication that it’s just not “fair”. The idea that congress thinks it should be legislated only proves that government has become the whore of public acclaim rather than a voice of reason. If a particular sport has a desire to create a “rule”, enforce that rule upon all who wish to participate and then hold them to that higher order or life style that is within their prerogative. My beef, must be one of those Freudian slips, is that the discussion has gravitated toward the legislative angle and invited even more government control over the lives of citizens.

Okay, that should stir up some hornets. Brad, “Thank You”, for the invitation.
I almost forgot; I’m supposed to issue the challenge to some more unsuspecting folks.
I have few enough who hang around or put up with me so I’d better be very careful.

“Mover” Mike Landfair
Robert Bell of “Libertopia”
Aaron the “Roseville Conservative”
Ross of “Rossputin”
“B” of “B after the fact”

Are Y’all up to the challenge; or maybe I should reset the question, are “Youse guiys” up for the challenge? I have to address those from Yankee Land in their own language.

No comments: