Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Word of Wisdom


I have read a few blogs this week regarding a Supreme Court ruling that weighs in favor of interstate shipment of wines. I lean toward Libertarian philosophy, to be sure, I will state that it is my opinion that if an item is legal to obtain then it should not be given specific limitations, either to advertise via common outlets, to convey via delivery networks or any other form of commerce.

That having been said, I would hope that just because an item is legal does not mean that it should be used. I should probably write an essay, possibly a book on the topic of individual rights to obtain drugs outside the current and established paths of doctor’s prescriptions or for those drugs which are labeled as mind altering and therefore illegal. That is another discussion and I would love to go off on that tangent; but, not today.

I have been performing in the capacity of “instructor”, in a manner of speaking, to those who are unfamiliar with the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
This past week I shared the information I have regarding gambling and how it should be avoided in all its forms. Today I will share yet another, the Word of Wisdom, as it is called by members of my church. We have been counseled to avoid the use of tobacco products, Alcohol in all of it various forms, tea and coffee finish off the specific list of consumables.

I read an article written by one of our General Authorities regarding the avoidance of known injurious consumables. I will paraphrase, “If a warning label such as are printed on each pack of cigarettes was printed on each can of dog or cat food, that to ingest this is a hazard and should be avoided, then those products would soon vanish from off the shelves because nobody would endanger their prize pets with something they knew to be harmful. Then why is it that humans continue to smoke, knowing that such a practice is very hazardous to their health?”

I have noticed many of my friends enjoy a glass of wine, a beer here and there or even a shot of Jim Beam once in a while. I will direct your attention to the official web site of the Church. There is a search engine built into the site, click it. The following page will have 3 places to search; the Scriptures, Gospel Library and Conference Talks. I would hope that your curiosity alone would cause you to visit and to search various items by filling in; Alcohol, Word of Wisdom, Tobacco, or any number of indulgences. Then read the various results to obtain for yourselves the knowledge and wisdom of folks much more able to address those topics.

This is provided, not as one standing with finger pointed accusingly, rather it is for your benefit that you may have sufficient information when making future decisions regarding what you put into your bodies.

No comments: