Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Secularism Vs Christianity

I started off the morning reading blogs and comments, not much different than any other morning. I read Robert Bell's blog, Libertopia, which he called Our Cultural Evolution along with the comments made. I decided that it was time to enter the discussion; however, after having posted my comment I may have crossed the fine line of etiquette by the length of my comment. If I did, here is my apology. I should have left a small comment and then wrote the rest on my own blogsite, something that I am doing now.

The conversation of Secularism Vs Christianity or Religion in general has gone on for all of my lifetime. If I could have my thoughts come out clearly and identify a solution to such a “can of worms” I could win the Noble Prize. That having been said I will jump in with both feet in my mouth.

I will preface my remarks; giving you more than you ever wanted to know about those who came here seeking religious freedom. While it is true that many fled Europe to the Americas for religious freedom, predominantly Christian, there were at least two migrations to the Americas prior to that. Historically the first major migration came after the Tower of Babel fell and the languages were confounded so that nobody could understand each other. A group of people who had faith in God were permitted to have their language remain unchanged and they were led to the Americas as a “land of promise”. A second group led by faith left Jerusalem around 600 BC under the inspired direction of God and were led to the Americas, again the “promised land”.

I have not called either of these groups “Christians”; however, to be sure, they were following the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They were followers of the God who created this world and everything in it, some call Him Jehovah, the Great I Am, or any number of names, He is one and the same. The Book of Mormon explains that the God of the Old Testament is none other than Jesus Christ, the savior of the world, acting under the direction of His Father. The writers of the Declaration of Independence referred to Him as the Creator, the Supreme Judge of the World or Divine Providence. Is it any wonder then, that so many put a slash mark when referring to Judeo/Christians?

In any case those who wrote the Declaration of Independence were inspired with some of the most wonderful language to ever be penned by man. It is my belief that such inspiration has its origin from God. I believe that the Book of Mormon is authentic and the word of God and that the accounts I have referenced to are for our benefit. This land is the “land of promise” and will remain blessed by God only as long as the people follow his commandments. Without getting to the pulpit to preach, something which may appear to have already happened, I would suggest that our nation is inseparably associated with God.

I like the line that Sean Connery gave to the young “G” Man, Elliott Ness, in the movie The Untouchables, “So endeth the lesson”; except in this case, “So beginneth the lesson.”
I invite anyone to contact me for serious discussion via email or simply leave a comment and I will have the guys on bicycles come by later in the week to set a date for baptism.

No comments: