Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Letter To Christians - A Comment to the Blog “The Flight of Icarus Goodman”


I started off writing this as a comment and then realized that it was entirely too long to intrude upon someone else’s blog. I have noticed that so many others lack the courtesy of something so simple; however, I have my own blog and this is the proper place for a lengthy explanation. That having been said, I will leave a short comment to his posting and let those who desire more follow me here.

I visited your blog and read lots of comments. I would compare the interest given to your posting to some of the historical accounts of our country back in the early 1800’s. The following remarks were taken from the words recorded by Joseph Smith Jr. as he explained the circumstances of that time.

“Some time in the second year after our removal to Manchester, there was in the place where we lived an unusual excitement on the subject of religion. It commenced with the Methodists, but soon became general among all the sects in that region of country. Indeed, the whole district of country seemed affected by it, and great multitudes united themselves to the different religious parties, which created no small stir and division amongst the people, some crying, “Lo
here!” and others, “Lo, there!” Some were contending for the Methodist faith, some for the Presbyterian, and some for the Baptist.For, notwithstanding the great love which the converts to these different faiths expressed at the time of their conversion, and the great zeal manifested by the respective clergy, who were active in getting up and promoting this extraordinary scene of religious feeling, in order to have everybody converted, as they were pleased to call it, let them join what sect they pleased; yet when the converts began to file off, some to one party and some to another, it was seen that the seemingly good feelings of both the priests and the converts were more pretended than real; for a scene of great confusion and bad feeling ensued—priest contending against priest, and convert against convert; so that all their good feelings one for another, if they ever had any, were entirely lost in a strife of words and a contest about opinions.”

The parallel to your plight concerning what to believe has existed in the minds of most men looking for the truth. Unfortunately many good men fall short of the answer (s) they seek for any number of reasons. I will eventually come full circle to the several points brought up in your blog as well as some of the comments left by other readers. Joseph Smith Jr. was sincere in his desire to know which church to join as he prayed in earnest, fully expecting to be given an answer.

“While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these parties of religionists, I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person needed wisdom from God, I did; for how to act I did not know, and unless I could get more wisdom than I then had, I would never know; for the teachers of religion of the different sects understood the same passages of scripture so differently as to destroy all confidence in settling the question by an appeal to the Bible.At length I came to the conclusion that I must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else I must do as James directs, that is, ask of God. I at length came to the determination to “ask of God,” concluding that if he gave wisdom to them that lacked wisdom, and would give liberally, and not upbraid, I might venture.So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally.”

The entire text is available, without interruption, by clicking on the URL:
http://scriptures.lds.org/js_h/1 I will continue to share portions of his related information.

“I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.
It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two personages whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they drew near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

This is the beginning of an interesting dilemma for some. Many called it blasphemy to have “claimed to have seen God the Father and His Son”. There is much more to take in, much more. Joseph Smith Jr. also claimed that he was visited by an angel, Moroni, and told where to find an ancient record containing scripture. From those records came the Book of Mormon. Here is part of the dilemma; Either the Book of Mormon is true and everything else reported by Joseph Smith is also true or it is a wonderfully contrived work of fiction foisted upon millions of folks who have been suckered in. There can be no middle ground. I welcome anyone who comes upon this comment to investigate the information and come to your own conclusion, not so much based on the word of any other human, since humans do have a rotten track record for telling the truth; but in the same manner in which young Joseph Smith Jr. obtained it, pray to Heavenly Father and expect to receive an answer. Granted, the Heavens may not and probably will not open quite as spectacularly as they did, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ might not appear as a pillar of light and greet you by name; however, that Spirit that testifies of the truthfulness of all things is given to all who seek in earnest heartfelt attitude of desire.

In closing my remarks, for I have restrained myself considerably, I would turn your attention to a portion of a letter written by Joseph Smith Jr. to a friend who desired to know more. They are now referred to as The Articles of Faith by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, although they were merely a small portion of the letter. This letter can be found in the History of the Church, Vol. 4, pp. 535—541
1. We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, second Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent’ that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being hones, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul- We believe all thing, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. Signed, JOSEPH SMITH. To this I add my own, T. Fraser Stern

( I have to wonder what Blogger is doing with the various font changes; I did not intend for it to be entertaining, at least not in that regard. Blogger is not letting me to "correct" the size of these font alterations and so I will have to live with it.)

No comments: