Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hoyle’s Billionaire Club

I’m still under the weather and getting over the “creeping crud”; one more day of the “Z” pack antibiotics for what the doctor called bronchitis. I did manage to get out and produce some locksmith work; maybe not the smartest thing to do since temperatures never got above 38 degrees today. I’d put this one fellow off for two days and he needed his truck and I needed a little cash flow.

I got home and jumped straight into bed with one of those microwave warm up things on my chest. When I woke up the house was empty; Lucy’s gone to a friend’s missionary farewell social. I promised him I’d stay away, doing my part not to get everyone sick.

I decided to push my limits on the Hoyle gambling game that’s on my laptop. I’d had my totals soar to unbelievable levels one time a few years back , only to watch that amount disappear in the blink of an eye; but I wanted to see what happens if you push the bar to the Billion dollar mark.

When you have over 800 million dollars to play with, strange as it may sound, gambling isn’t as much fun. Now I know how congress and Obama feel when they piss away a measly 100 million dollars of tax payer’s money; “Hey, it’s only a measly 100 million dollars and there’s plenty more where that came from.”

I was making starting bets of 10 million dollars, triple that on a loss until the cards came back right. I hit the billion mark rather quickly only to find that there was no hoopla, no bells and whistles, no parade of semi clothed dance hall girls, just a plaque with my name showing the accomplishment; oh yea, then the game instantly zeroed out the account and I got to start all over.

I’m going into the kitchen now for another bowl of Lucy’s home made chili. Maybe the front door will have a knock on it, the creators of the Hoyle gambling game will have one of their people come by and recruit me into the Star League where we’ll fight Zur and the Kodan armada or does that only work if you beat the Last Star Fighter game?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Microwave warm up things"?

They're called Ovens, TF.

MathewK said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend TF.

T. F. Stern said...

Nickie, No, these are cloth filled wraps, herbs and rice hulls, that you Nuke for a couple of minutes. They stay nice and warm and you can wrap your neck, knee, or just place it over your chest to get warm. When they cool off, just Nuke them again.

Feeling better still, staying home from church to be on the safe side; no need to spread the crud with others.

Jahn said...

As the late Sen. Dirksen said: "A billion here... a billion there... Pretty soon, you're talking real money."

Somewhere, I've got a DOS-based poker game. I can only run up my winnings to just under $2bn, then it craps out on me. Small potatoes in this day and age.

David said...

Congress *spit* A few billion bucks here and there. It's not as though it were THEIR money.