Thursday, January 21, 2010

With Heavy Heart…

One of our neighbors knocked on the door a while ago and let us know about a young cat which she’d seen that might have been one of our Hobo Kitties, on the side of the street. I walked the short distance and recognized our Princess would no longer brighten our days.

I remarked to Lucy how it wasn’t up us to decide, that perhaps Princess was sent to us, a chance for her to learn about human love, what it’s like to live inside with them, enjoy their company and attach, ever so briefly, to their heart strings. If such was the case, Princess accomplished that because my heart is heavy with her loss.




10 comments:

Starsplash said...

Dang it! That's sad.

Jahn said...

That's terrible. She looks a lot like my Momo, who lived with me in '93. I'm glad you got lots of pics and lots of fond memories.

The probligo said...

Sad indeed. The death of any being is a time for pause, irrespective of the cause.

T. F. Stern said...

In my haste I neglected to add a thought, a momentary pause that passed my consciousness upon seeing the lifeless body on the lawn next to the street. In the early morning air, small droplets of dew had formed, making a blanket of sparkling drops to cover Princess, a blanket for her to sleep beneath.

A scripture came to mind, http://scriptures.lds.org/en/deut/32/2#2

My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass…

A good friend of mine once remarked, regarding the topic of patience, that we don’t sit around and watch the dew form, we don’t have the patience for that; but that we enjoy the results never the less. I should thank the Lord for taking care of my Princess and taking the time to cover her in such a lovely blanket.

MathewK said...

Sorry TF, I know how you two have grown fond of them.

Anonymous said...

TF, you're a good man with a generous heart.

Rhod said...

T.F., there's no loss quite like this one.

Condolences

Lucy Stern said...

We will miss our little Princess, she was a ray of sunshine in our lives...

David said...

"hobo kitty" or not, she was a pet. When they go, if it doesn't tug your heartstrings a bit, then it's time for a checkup...

T. F. Stern said...

I'm grateful for the sentiments expressed here, Thank you all.

My next challenge is to find the next Hobo Kitty with enough courage to engage with us giants, become domesticated and take part in our lives.