Thursday, March 24, 2005

Why stand we here idle?

I am angry and frustrated with how the judiciary branch of government has handled the case of Terri Shiavo and somewhat ashamed of feelings I find myself expressing that run contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ that I ascribe to. My spiritual self is at war with my intellectual self. I am reminded of important instruction contained in the scriptures. Our Savior was suffering at Calvary and one of his final requests was recorded in Luke 23:34, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do”. I am a “work in progress” and I still have a long way to go before reaching that level of perfection; all the same I am working on it.

Does this mean we are to stand by silently while one of our citizen’s Inalienable Rights, the right to life, is hijacked by a judiciary that refuses to obey the will of the majority as expressed by the legislative and executive branches of government? I’m referring to the unresolved matter of how to end the life of Terri Shiavo; regardless of whether or not you feel she is “merely existing” in a “permanent vegetative state”, a severely handicapped individual, a terminal patient with no chance for recovery or any of the angles that might crop up. The Judiciary has taken it upon themselves to condemn a citizen to a death sentence; claiming starvation is a natural cause of death, setting aside the intentional neglect necessary to cause that starvation to occur. We have laws that prohibit such neglect and hold individuals accountable for such forms of neglect, although this far surpasses neglect and could easily be considered murder.

The abuse of power, a usurped power since no such power has ever been granted to them by We The People, has far exceeded the checks and balances outlined when our country was formed. I would also include and refer to the 9th Circuit Court that threw away the overwhelming demand expressed by the voters in California when they passed Proposition 187. I refer to the Supreme Court’s decision to abandon the Constitution and in its place, substitute in its stead, their “feelings”, as they declared that 17 year old convicted murderers cannot be sentenced to die and are exempt from Capitol Crimes. The list of judiciary abuse is too long to include in this simple article.

I fear that our country’s foundations have been eroded, nearly entirely, and the weight of responsibility Now rests on how We The People proceed from here. Now, instead of it being only the life of Terri Shiavo being threatened; the life of Liberty is in jeopardy. This is the time when We The People must take back our country from a runaway judiciary, a judiciary that has imposed its will contrary to that of its citizenry. The judiciary has declared itself to be the final arbitrator of our collective national agency. They have done this without the consent of the “governed”, literally hijacking the democratic process in such a way as to remove the legislative and executive branches from their rightfully shared powers, powers that reflect the desires of We The People.

To borrow a few lines from Patrick Henry, “Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me: Give me liberty, or give me death!”

Are we not similarly engaged in a great struggle, a war, if you will, for the right to be governed by a representative form of government? I believe that we are.

No comments: