Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Great State of Texas


We had a special meeting at church this past Sunday where, instead of the talks being given locally, there was a broadcast from church headquarters directed via satellite to the entire State of Texas. One of the speakers gave a brief introduction that included his assessment, “When you start off with “The Great State of… that Texas follows.” He apologized for anyone from the State of Rhode Island or any other state that might have been slighted by his remarks; however, he returned to that same line as he smiled in his knowledge that he was addressing those in the Great State of Texas.

We have a local church leader, Stan Ellis, who just happens to be one of my neighbors and a friend. One of his favorite lines, “Any day you wake up in Texas is a Great Day!”. He and his wife were called to serve a church mission down in Brazil and I know that he would also say, “Any day you wake up in Brazil is a Great Day!”. My guess is any day you get to be near a fellow like Stan Ellis it’s a Great Day!

My daughter has a few fellows that hold her interest. One of them leans pretty much to the left and I don’t see much reason for them to plan ahead. He called a little while ago and wanted to know why she was so “into” her Texas is Great thing. “I’ve been through Texas”, he said over the telephone, “and I just don’t get it.”

Not waiting for the moment to pass, “You must have had your eyes closed; but I forgot, you’re a Democrat.” Make’s a father proud to have raised their kids up right.
Posted by Hello

No comments: