Saturday, June 11, 2005

Mormonism, We make it up as we go...


Pascal’s Wager was the name of an article posted by Brad the Unrepentant Individual. It dealt with the philosophy of religion and a common argument known as Pascal’s Wager. It boils down to the idea that folks are gambling that the religion they pick is the one that God would approve of or that God even is real. The pay off to such a wager is that you either win and go to heaven or lose and go to outer darkness for the eternities for having chosen the wrong religion. Lastly, if there is no God then you lose anyway so big deal. The article was presented in a tasteful way as to cause the reader to think about his/her standing with God and the relationship mankind may or may not have with Him.

I was reading the comment section and ran across a rather glib conclusion from a fellow with the moniker “KJ”. I have left the spelling exactly as it appeared.


As to which team to bet on, I think you have to narrow it down to three: mainstream christianity (basically Catholics to presbeterians, but excluding Mormons and JWs and others that rewrite their own scriptures), Judaism and Muslims. They all claim the same father (Abraham), but only one still stands scrutiny.” Comment left by “KJ”, who’s blog site is called, No Government Cheese

I will start with his thoughtless exclusion of Mormons and JWs (presumably Jehovah Witnesses) and others that “rewrite” their own scriptures. I used the word thoughtless because I intentionally held off responding to the comment section until I could think about how to respond to such a crass line. With such an authoritative dismissal of two groups of religion I should be grateful that he took such good notes while attending his classes. I have almost no information to add regarding the Jehovah Witnesses, never having investigated their faith. I have more than a little to say about the Mormons, properly stated, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, having been a member since 1978.

A little history lesson on how the Bible; a compilation of scripture came to be might serve as a starting point for any discussion regarding Judeo-Christian canon. I am not a biblical scholar; however, it doesn’t take one to understand that over the past 2000 years that the Bible has been “rewritten”, translated and edited so many times as to cast some doubt regarding its “claim” to be the word of God. In no way is that statement included to cause doubt to the faithful; merely a reminder that theologians have presented arguments and essays to various “authoritative” groups in their attempts to justify each and every word in the Bible. The interesting part to all those devoted interests and parties concerned with defining God’s words is the fact that now there are literally hundreds of sacred books with the title “Bible”. Is it any wonder that there is so much confusion when discussing the subject of religion, even among the so called Christian community?

The Old Testament contains the information held sacred by the Jews and has been “added to” by including the New Testament so that a more complete understanding of the teachings necessary to understand the mind and will of God could be gained. To some of the more fool hearty they have inserted the notion that “everything” God wanted us to know is contained within those bound pages; kind of like the Ed McMann lead in line on the Johnny Carson Show. Everything you wanted to know about God…followed by a snicker and a smile as Johnny timed his answer, “Not quite, infidel and plunger of toilets.” I’m making this up as I go; I don’t think that particular line was ever on the show.

That brings me to the point of introducing the Book of Mormon, one of those sticking points I mentioned, a book of scripture that is “Another Witness” of the divinity of Jesus Christ. The text of the Book of Mormon has been attacked by some of the finest theologians, scholars and non-believers since its first publication. With the arrival of the computer age and sophisticated word comparison capabilities, each word and sentence structure has been washed and examined to establish the mass fakery of the ruse. Such examinations have neither, proven fraud or proven the books authenticity; such things can only be determined by an individual’s pleading with God via direct revelation through sincere prayer. So, in a way, I am stamping a seal of approval on KJ’s statement that the Mormons “rewrite their own scriptures”; except I put such “additions” in a positive light as opposed to dismissing such information as worthless. If I took offense to the manner in which he structured his comment, maybe I am in error.

God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, All that is above, below and in the Earth, the Father of all the Spirits which inhabit the Earth, that God should somehow be limited to a few chapters in one book. Is that the God KJ is talking about? I took courses in college from an egotistical professor who had written several books. I knew that because each semester I had to purchase one of those over priced books in order to make it through. Am I (no pun intended) to believe that the Great I AM cannot add to the information He believes might help his children as they pass through mortality or should I take the word of some over rated theology professors, clerics or one of their students; those who lack the authority of God or followers of Satan himself when I determine what is or is not the word of God? Thank you very much KJ; but I think you are talking out of your hat.

No comments: