Thursday, May 31, 2007

CO2 Emission Nonsense

If you listen to the “chicken little” mentality then “it’s the end of the world” and the sky is falling because we have filled it with so much garbage that it has to fall. The latest nonsense comes from the fear mongers intent on curtailing the supposedly inordinate amounts of CO2 being produced by our decadent society.

I caught a couple of minutes of the Rush Limbaugh radio show today and heard exactly how the whacko environmental community has attempted to stampede the herd by playing the guilt trip card. If you listen, without thinking, the numbers they’re spouting sound horrendous and certainly worthy of serious consideration for the damage to our atmosphere.

Dr. Spencer, a climatologist ( some kind of scientist who relies on facts rather than feelings ) from the University of Alabama Huntsville took all the teeth out of the scary numbers by explaining in simple terms, enough so that even the folks in Rio Linda would understand, exactly what those numbers represent. Rather than butcher the explanation I’ve cut and pasted the following paragraph directly from the transcripts on Rush’s website.

"The comments come at a difficult time for the Bush administration, which is undergoing pressure from other members of the G8 club, which under the current chair of Germany is pushing for global action on CO2 emissions." Speaking of CO2. Get this. Roy Spencer sent this to me yesterday, Dr. Spencer, our resident expert, climatology, University of Alabama Huntsville. He said, "Rush, people try to scare you by saying that humanity pumps 30 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year, and it sounds like a big number." You know, Gore's out there saying this in his movie, An Inconvenient Truth, 30 billion tons of CO2. Thirty billion tons. That's bad. Dr. Spencer's writing a book that's due out sometime in the fall about some of this, and he said, "I came up with the following illustration of how little CO2 there really is in the atmosphere and how little humanity produces. While Gore is out there saying that there are 30 billion tons of CO2 being pumped by human beings into the atmosphere each year, the current constitution of the atmosphere is this. It contains 38 molecules of CO2 for every 100,000 molecules of air." Folks, that's nothing. "Thirty-eight molecules of CO2 for every 100,000 molecules of air, and it would take humanity five years to increase that number from 38 to 39. So every five years we add one molecule of CO2 to each 100,000 molecules of air." And yet this is how the left sells stuff, 30 billion tons, CO2, and now Germany and the G8, they're saying, "Well, we gotta stop CO2 emissions. We're pumping 30 billion tons." It's not a factor. Thirty-eight molecules for every 100,000 molecules of air...” (emphasis added)

This sounds a little like the guilt I’m supposed to feel for letting the faucet drip in my bathroom so my cat can always get a drink of water. I’m supposed to worry about how much water is being wasted, kind of like that turnips I didn’t eat when I was a boy; “There’s some poor starving kid in Africa who’d fight to have a chance to eat what you just threw in the trash, young man!” Well, I never liked turnips so I threw them out whenever they showed up on my plate and I never met that kid who’d fight me for them.


I did feel guilty that time my Granny wanted a piece of my chocolate cake and all I gave her was a small piece of a crumb, not big enough to feed a small mouse. Granny was tickled by the honesty I provided, “I didn’t want to share my cake, not even with my Granny.” I was four maybe five, what did she expect?

I tried an experiment a while back; plugging the bottom of the sink to see just how much water I’d wasted. In four hours of dripping and splashing into the slowly filling sink I measured less than a gallon of water. I figure I waste way more than that while enjoying a hot shower, letting the waters soothe away all my guilt for making a good living at the expense of poor suckers who happened to lose their keys. I make enough keys to pay for my hot water, my cold water and surely I make enough to let my cat drink from a dripping faucet while I’m away from the house.

My cat breaths out CO2 excessively and I may have to plant something in the yard to offset the damage done to the environment; but that’s nothing compared to the odor from her litter box. I wonder how much damage is done to the environment from the ammonia that evaporates from the kitty litter. Bubba likes to wait until around ten at night to let go with a real stinky one, the kind that makes us wonder why we have pets at all. Now we can involve the methane destroys the environment crowd too; on this point they might win.

No comments: