Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why can’t I sit there Pea-paw?


It rained most of the day yesterday and when the sun went down the American Flag which I’d displayed for Memorial Day was soaked. I climbed the extension ladder and brought the flag into the house to dry. It being a fairly large flag, I looked around for a suitable location to permit the drying process without it touching the floor.

I have one of those inversion tables where I can hang upside down to relieve back pressure. In a dark an ominous sort of way that flag looks like the apparatus used on board ships to launch the dearly departed to a watery grave. The flag is nearly dry and will be folded properly for storage until our next national day of reverence.

JJ, my five year old grandson came in a while ago and was about to sit on the flange at the base of the inversion device, a place where my grandchildren sit when they want to use it like a see-saw ride; Pea-paw supplying the lifting energies on the other end. I was going to explain the importance of showing reverence toward that red, white and blue piece of fabric when my throat tightened and my eyes were suddenly flooded with moisture.

“Did you hurt yourself, Pea-paw?” JJ took notice of the tears dripping down my cheek as I sniffled away in an attempt to regain my presence and continue.

“JJ, that flag represents our hope that this country will always remain free. It is to be treated with respect.” I could say no more and will try to do better next time, when he is a little older and I am a little less emotional.

No comments: