Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mezuzah Protection

It’s a little thing that can be found at the entry way to a home, placed about eye level on the right edge of the door way in Jewish homes. It’s called a Mezuzah; how that's pronounced properly I couldn’t say; but it has its history going all the way back to the time of Moses. Mezuzah, as explained in the scriptures, are passages of the law written on tiny scrolls, enclosed in a small container and nailed to the right door post or gate, as an ordinance of remembrance.

I suppose I need to thank Sister Parker for preparing last weeks Sunday School lesson. Here’s a link to Deuteronomy chapter 6:

http://scriptures.lds.org/deut/6

“And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.”

They serve a grand purpose; to remind any and all who either enter or leave by that door, who they are, where they come from and where they are going in the eternal scheme of things. Each Sunday we take part in an ordinance called the Sacrament. We eat the broken bread and drink the water; symbols of the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us, as a reminder of those covenants we made at the time of baptism. It would seem that God has provided some fairly simple means of reminding His children of covenants made, the means of having them return to Him. It would also seem that we must be a fairly stupid species, having to be reminded at each and every turn lest we forget such important lessons; oi! ( I’m counting on one of my readers to correct my spelling )

How many of us have had our parents get our attention as we were going out the door, where we would be away from their presence, look us square in the eye and with all the admonition that can be summoned while raising one eyebrow speak these words, “Remember who you are.”? Wouldn’t it be a better world if more parents reminded their children each day as they went off to school, “Remember who you are.”? In this day and time I suppose it would be nice if the parents knew who they were too, many having missed the lessons taught in the scriptures, the important spiritual truths which bind each of us to the eternities.

I thought it might be a good idea to place something like a Mezuzah on the front of my computer’s monitor; glue it to the edge in a prominent place. Isn’t that computer a doorway into the world, a world of many dangers to the spirit, no different than stepping out my front door and leaving the safety of my home? The more I think about it, that’s not such a bad idea. If there’s a run on Mezuzahs down at the local store you can blame it on me. I can see it now, demand out pacing supplies as the price doubles and then triples on Mezuzahs; millions of computer monitors are protected, oy!

I went online to find where you can purchase a Mezuzah and borrowed the picture from a website,
www.jewishbay.com ; a long list of Jewish jokes hit me as I read their home page, “Have you got any cups for left handed people?”….
Posted by Picasa

No comments: